“Edgewood helped us capture the opportunity beyond our traditional base of retailers by providing great insights and innovative strategies.” – Lynn Ambrosia,
Former Vice President,
Campbell's Soup Company
To increase the likelihood of success for any business initiative, it is critical to capture a current and deep understanding of the competitive environment. An appreciation of the market can assist you to make smarter and more informed strategic and tactical decisions while also helping to quantify risks and opportunities.
Edgewood Consulting has done significant work in helping our clients address a wide range of business intelligence questions. We embrace a holistic approach that identifies and captures the information of greatest value to our clients. Here is a sample of challenging and critical questions that clients have asked us to address:
- What are the barriers to entry and key success factors in this category?
- What go-to-market requirements will new entrants face in the category with retailers, e.g. velocity, margin, trade rates?
- How can we better understand the category’s unique retail dynamics, e.g. in-store location, space allocation, adjacency?
New Classes of Trade:
- Which are most attractive channels for our products?
- What is the competitive landscape in new outlasts or alternative channels?
- How do incumbents sailor products, promotions or their go-to-market strategies by channel?
- What are the trade economics, e.g. cost structure, trade rates, allowances?
- Who is winning and losing and WHY?
- What are the lessons learned from prior initiatives?
The true benefit of securing Industry Intelligence is increasing the likelihood of success.
This is accomplished through:
- Identifying and understanding of both risk and opportunity
- Turning insights into current and future competitive responses
- Superior understanding of the retail environment
Insights – Prior to introducing a major new initiative into the Perimeter, an area where the client had limited experience, Edgewood Consulting conducted confidential probes with targeted retailers. The discussions uncovered a number of critical insights that differed greatly from the client’s core business:
- The role of the Perimeter is to both attract and retain shoppers and support the retailer’s overall banner.
- The level of interest, sophistication and success varies considerably by retailer.
- Identified key retailer needs, requirements and barriers.
Innovation – Created a powerful Thought Leadership framework to guide the client’s introduction of new items to the Perimeter. Included retailer stratification approach that provided guidelines for development of a more relevant solution.
Implementation – The client embraced the tactical insights and recommended strategic approach regarding the launch. Although this ultimately delayed introductory timing, it identified the resources required and adjusted the strategies that increased the likelihood of success.